There are many references in the early Louisiana records to place names that have changed or some that remain the same but aren't incorporated areas. Town of Brashear, now Morgan City, incorporated 1860.
This page will provide the old and new names or a description of the old and current location. Note: According to pages 16-17 of the book Cabanocey The History, Customs and Folklore of St. Bourgeois, the first church in the current parish of St.
Here in 1730 Governor Perrier organized expedition against Natchez Indians. French records referred to area as Tabiscana Part of the Mermentau River Watershed. Site of World’s Industrial and Cotton Exposition 1884-1885. Laid out by Charles Zimpel in 1833 on site of Macarty Plantation, formerly uppermost part of Bienville’s 1719 land grant. The Salliers built their home on the shell beach where Lake Charles now stands.
Begins near Lafayette and is the natural border separating Lafayette Parish and Acadia Parish to the West and Vermilion Parish to the South. Afterwards, the lake became known as "Charlie's lake". Many of Charles Sallier's descendants are buied in Sallier Cemetery, near St. The Rio Hondo, which flowed through Lake Charles, was later called Quelqueshue, an Indian term meaning "Crying Eagle", and still later, Calcasieu.
It was built to protect New Orleans, but on April 18, 1862, Admiral Farragut and his fleet of 43 boats, battled the fort for over a week.